Click here!


Wednesday 9 July 2008

LEADERS ARE LADDERS

Recently, I listened to a renowned motivational speaker/teacher speak on leadership. As I took notes in my notepad, I became more aware (just like many others) of the fact that this speaker has actually carved a niche for himself in the area of leadership and leadership training. His 30 minutes air time was like 3 minutes. His message did not lack substance and you could tell that he is "deep" As I studiously listened to him analyse and make conclusions on the subject which arguably is not new especially to minds which aspire greatness, I was amazed at how strongly the need for leaders in every facet of human life dawned on me several times during the 30 minutes telecast. Leadership and the role of leaders is indeed a very crucial one.

A few days later I engaged a friend in a conversation trying to rub minds and "chew" more on the subject and hopefully absorb more than was said on TV. One very key quality of a leader mentioned by the speaker referred to above is the ability to give direction to their followers. I will not be surprised if you are quick to remark that “yes, that is a 'normal' expectation from any leader!” Well, you’re right. In the telecast, the speaker remarkably mentioned that leaders are expected to be visioners. The ability of a leader to think ahead using the power of insight is very crucial as well. Leaders should be dynamic. You (or we, as the case may apply) as followers are merely standing behind a "leader" if they are not forward thinking and dynamic. If a leader is static, then their followers are merely standing behind such a person. Your leader needs to move before you can claim followership to such a person!

Unfortunately, out of sentimental allegiance, majority of us today are merely standing behind people who we claim to be our leaders. They have a sense of direction but lack the drive to explore the potential within them to forge a forward thrust towards achieving the vision/cause for which they stand.

From the “leading and directing” point of view, the above topic which though is only a metaphor stands. This afternoon at my place of work, I was going to carry out a task, The task required me to access a position at a height. Even if I was a seven-footer, there was no way my hand and eye-level would have reached the spot I needed to work on; hence the need for a ladder to make the task possible and easy at the same time. While I was busy on the task, it occured to me that people who have been appointed leaders actually play the same role in the lives of their followers. Apart from providing a sense of direction by effective communication of a common goal, they provide the encouragement needed by the followership to see the task as achievable in spite of the obvious limitations. Realising that encouragement on its own may not be sufficient to achieve the goal(s), leaders provide the necessary support just like a ladder. An astute follower of my line of thought would have been able to draw a pattern at this stage -the life of a leader is that of selfless service. Although we all have all it takes to be a leader, we are not ready for leadership unless we are ready for selfless service. This is not taught in Harvard. You need to work it out yourself.

Stay tuned…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Leadership
Speaking of leadership, I don’t think there is an end.
John Maxwell said, ‘Everything rises and falls on leadership’. I believe this strongly because leadership is all about people, and it is the greatest need of humanity.
If indeed leadership is influence, then we are all leaders in one way or the other. But the constant K questions are; how am I influencing people? What positive impact am I making? Do I have the ability to inspire willing followership?

Leadership reflects in every area of life, even in a man/woman relationship, a man must be able to clearly define his goals with regards to where he's taking the woman. If along the line, the woman doesn’t feel 'safe' anymore she reacts and if the man is not sensitive enough, their relationship is set to end up like the titanic!

From personal experience, I have learnt that the quality of a relationship can never be better than that of the individuals involved. Just like with leadership principles, the woman will first buy into the man before buying into his vision. People naturally follow leaders who are stronger than they are, and with proven results of course! No result, no respect!!
You cannot be a great leader unless your confidence in others is as strong as your confidence in yourself. Its either one chooses to identify, help and develop people or you lose them completely.

Yes...leaders are ladders for it takes a leader to raise a leader