Click here!


Wednesday 3 December 2008

HIV?.....Nah!.......Gimme HI's with no V's!

6:10 p.m...
It's a Wednesday and I just returned from work. As usual, I turned on my computer and opened my electronic mail box, eagerly looking out for a particular mail. Then I saw this Facebook notification of a message from a very good friend - D'Gbnoj. D'Gbonj and I have been good friends since our 100L days. I still remember the first time we spoke - it was in the famous LT3 at the University dubbed "better by far" - She was wearing a fanciful wristwatch, I called it wrist-clock. I guess she was surprised, she asked where I'm from.
I've always known D'Gbonj as a doctor and a showbiz enthusiast; you can tell by her nickname (She's on the intern by the way...). Apart from her love for psychiatric medicine and showbiz, I didn't realise her writing prowess until yesterday. When she hit the face of Facebook with yet another inspiring write-up today, I couldn't help asking for her permission to publish her notes in my blog. I would like to share this piece with you all and hopefully the one she wrote on people with disability in the next few days.

"Unlike everyone else that had stepped into the ER that day,he looked really different.Calm,calculated,unaided,distant,yet interested.Accompanied by his mom,probably the only one that still cared.He was only 17,but old enough to communicate with me.I asked for his name and documented it.I asked for his religion and he told me he was both (christian and moslem!)A double dose,i can only just imagine.This was of course a glimpse of what was yet in store.His problem?he was beginning to show symptoms and signs of an ADC(AIDS dementia complex).Just 17,not just HIV, but AIDS.I couldn't help but wonder.It all started when he was 12,had taken ill and was taken to a hospital where he was unfortunately transfused with HIV-infected blood.PLS! don't put the blame on me.And since then,that had been his cross.He had been stable on ARV's(antiretrovirals)then stopped just because he felt like it.But then i encouraged him to use his meds,because i needed that bright young man alive and well too!We have been friends since then.He could have contacted it via any other means;Unprotected sexual intercourse,sharing of infected needles,.........But this was how.We probably have all been exposed in one or more ways.Its December 1st, another world AIDS day.This year's theme is :Leadership.......Stop AIDS,keep the promise!The best you can do is to know your status today.Let's abstain,Lets play safe,Let's show love and support to people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA),Let's educate,Let's reduce the stigma associated with the condition.Let's dedicate our profile picture to the red ribbon(pls copy from my page.i did same from Wobo!)As for me,i'm getting HI'S with no V'S!and m urging you to give and take same.I am repping the day all the way!I am doing all i can to reduce the incidence and the scourge associated with the condition.I will even dress up in red(nah) more like wear my red hand band...wait a minute,where is it?............Hey black boi.......hand back my hand band!"

Credit: Dr. Gbonjubola Babalola (a.k.a D'Gbonj)

No comments: