Click here!


Saturday 7 March 2009

TO MAMA WITH LOVE

Although it's my birthday, I realise without her there would have been no me. I could have been flushed away. I could have been dumped by the roadside. I could have been stopped from 'staying'. When I caused so much trouble and cried for food, I could have been fed to death. This is for you mama...

In your arms you held me tenderly
Through the pains you gave me warmth and care
Hunger bites, I cried hopelessly
Your instincts and love answered my tears
Mama you knew what I needed and when

In your heart you guard me jealously
No, you’ll never see me whine
Strayed I from your teachings carelessly
Your wisdom corrects, you never mind
Mama, your love I can never buy

In your mouth you chewed me tenderly
My cross is your cross I never knew
When I burned my fingers awfully
You showed the way to start again anew
Mama you won’t sleep all for my sake

In your eyes you keep me carefully
I thought tis all for nine month’s sake
Mama it’s more than that I can’t reason it!
Esoteric is your love it adds no pain
You did it all that I might have a name

Mama you’re my treasure
My sunshine, my all…
My mama...


(c)Femi Olatunji, 2009

No comments: