Click here!


Sunday 20 April 2008

The Value of Time

Guys, I'm posting a poem which I wrote sometime last year when we lost a dear brother in my fellowship. The title of the poem is actually "Could have been me". But I have decided not to adapt that same title to this post. However, the lesson remains clear; how precious time is and the need for anyone who wants to make a difference in their lifetime to ascribe to it the value it deserves. Before I post the poem, I just remembered a song which although has gone through several modification in its delivery by various artistes (The version I know and listen to is the one by Lynda Randle), we cannot ignore the veracity of its message. I guess you should read the chorus before I post my poem;

One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord help me today show me the way
One day at a time.

"...Yesterday is gone sweet Jesus and tomorrow may never be mine...". You have an idea and you think you still have some time before you roll up your sleeves and get to business? Now is the time. You actually don't have as much time as you think you do. And I tell you what, I'm saying the same thing to myself. And here is the poem which I believe would make an impact in our lives in case we all have been caught up in the "sin" of procrastination. I call it a sin because to him that knoweth how to do good and doeth it not, it is a SIN! :) That which you have in your hands is enough to make a start...And now the poem :)

COULD HAVE BEEN ME…

Tell, how big can today’s troubles be
You never would know what this could mean
Till you understand how vain mortals could be
Life is kind, yet so mean
Tick! Tick!! Tick!!! Time’s gently ticking away

Yesterday’s gone. The past, that’s what it is
The dead past, leave to bury its own
For goals not met, whine not and never you hiss
Tomorrow’s not yours so never you moan
Tick! Tick!! Tick!!! So, remember time is ticking away

Life’s vanity we know but understand not you see?
‘Tis just human to crave for more day by day
Until when we all, and life someday would cease
When we shall be relieved of the troubles of every day
Oh yes, Tick! Tick!! Tick!!! Time moves on, without delay

Death is shamed, Uche died a hero
His passion for Christ to me was inspiring
His time with the father scored not a zero
But to think he’s gone just leaves me thinking
Tick! Tick!! Tick!!! Death’s head is bowed in shame

Behold the giants fall, son of God we cry for mercy
Teach us your grace for granted not to take
Tis not time for tears, dry we our eyes so we can see!
Arise! The enemy we’ve got to take
Cos tick! Tick!! Tick!!! Subtly the giants he’s come to take

Time is short, soldiers of Christ awake!
Stephen was gone and next was John
They sure would come for Peter we cannot wait
If we don’t take them on, tomorrow may be your turn
For Tick! Tick!! Tick!!! Time is ticking away

My head is bowed, my heart feels like steel
He was full of life yet for him death chose to come
The battle is won though his body lay still
We sorrow not for the will of God is done
Ah! Tick! Tick!! Tick!!!
I realised it could have been me…

(c) Femi Olatunji, 2007
Inspiration: The passing away of Dr. Uche Chukwu,Bedford, UK

No comments: